Monday, April 24, 2017

What Kind of Leader Am I?

As part of Colleen and David's pre work, we were told to take a quiz on what type of leader we were. My results were:

"Paternalistic: You are a parent to your employees and show plenty of concern for them and their work. The relationships between your team members are strong and positive. You are constantly offering guidance and help to those who need it. However, you are known for playing favorites every now and then. "

I was a little shocked to hear this result at first, however looking back on my past leadership experience I can see how this may be true. At my past job, one of my employees jokingly would call me "mom" when she needed help or was in a sticky situation. I did feel like I was a emotional support system, as well as someone to go to for help during work hours. Although this was just a quiz, and my results could easily change as I grow in my career I did find some truth in these results. 

5 comments:

  1. i got the same results! go parenting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's cool you got Paternalistic. I've never really thought of that as a leadership style before, but I respect the idea. It's nice that you naturally can be looked at as a role model and be supportive in the workplace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe being paternalistic is a good thing because it shows your fellow employees that you actually care about them, which in return will hopefully make them feel the same way about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, being paternalistic is a great thing in the work place. Being a role model is important to fellow co workers and showing them that you truly care goes a long way as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always recommend using these quizzes as a place to start your reflection and start a conversation. One of the goals of this course was to encourage you to be reflective about your leadership. The validity of the outcomes of these quizzes are a combination of the quality of the instrument (how accurate is the quiz if all the inputs are correct) and your own self-knowledge (do you really know the most accurate inputs). Paternalistic could be very effective under the right circumstances. Blanchard (One Minute Manager) would argue you need to learn to be flexible. Sometimes paternalistic is the right style, sometimes autocratic, sometimes collaborative.

    ReplyDelete