Thursday, March 2, 2017

A Team of Extroverts Week 5 Post 1


This week has been extremely busy for me. Caroline, Shayna, and I have a 12 page Policy paper due on Monday and we have been working on it constantly. Normally I dread papers like this. They stress me out like no other. I noticed something different about this group though, we share most of the same traits from the 16 Personalities test, and its pretty obvious because of how well we work together. (Shayna is a ENFP and Caroline and I are ENFJ)

I noticed first when we started working on the paper and we brainstormed out loud about all of the ideas we had for our topic. We didn't talk over each other, and everyone got their voice in. Even the way we wrote was vocal. Before writing, we would say the sentence out loud and verbally edit it. I thought this was interesting because extroverts have a tendency to process information out loud, and thats exactly what we did. Also, the work didn't seem so hard because of our high energy levels and enthusiasm we had in a team setting.
Caroline 

I realized that we are a great team and I definitely think that our personalities have a role in that.


Shayna 

Regan 

4 comments:

  1. That's super interesting that you seem to work more efficiently with people who share similar personality test results as you. I wonder if the same works for other personality types. Love the bitmojis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like this was so true about our group and how we worked together. I wonder if there are any personality types that would clash with people of their same personality type. I'm also curious as to whether introverts work together in a similar manor or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Shayna, I am an ENFP. I am currently working on a long term project with another professor in another department who is an INTJ - so we are opposite on three of the four preferences. Before we started working together, we had talked on a number of occasions - mostly me reaching out as an EF, but also because I thought she might be a good potential collaborator, so as an F it was important to me to start establishing a relationship. Just before we started working together, she told me her type and I kind of chuckled and told her it fit. We actually discussed our personality types before we worked together, and how those types were expressed in our working styles. I think that was helpful for both of us. As an INTJ, she likes to be deliberate and organized, doing a lot of her thinking in her head. I'm the opposite. I have to use three whiteboards and five colored markers, and four cups of coffee to know what I'm thinking when it comes to something complicated. Had we not had the discussion about personality types and working styles beforehand, the partnership would not have worked out. Now she knows when I'm going off on a tangent that I'm processing, not just wasting time. And I know to respect her need to be deliberate and limit discussions. So that's a long comment different personality types can work well together, but it's helpful to have a discussion beforehand about working styles so that people don't come to cross purposes.

    ReplyDelete