Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Emotionally Unintelligent-The Office Week 6 Post 1

 My favorite show ever is NBCs The Office, I could watch it for hours. If you haven't seen it, the show follows the daily antics of a fictional paper company, head by regional manager Michael Scott. If you have not seen it, you really should start watching! Since taking management, I have noticed patterns of Emotional Unintelligence in the shows characters. Although this is hysterical for Netflix, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen in a real workplace in these scenarios. I found a few of my favorite clips and broke down some Emotional Unintelligence!



Toby vs Michael
Michael is definitely unable to craft appropriate behavior based on his surroundings. Especially when it comes to his least favorite HR man Toby, who returns to the office after some time away.



Dwight Does Healthcare
Dwight is probably one of the least empathetic characters in the office. He is desperate for a position of management, and fails any time he is given responsibility, like this time when he tries to take away health benefits.

                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifFzxiSQsCE


Michael Scott Fake Fires Pam
Michael's management styles are definitely questionable, especially here when he entertains himself by pretending to fire Pam, at the expense of her feelings. He is totally unaware of the emotions of others here.

                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAxtVMuDYD8

First Aid Training 
Someone comes to the office to teach the team how to administer first aid, you can see by the dancing, emotions are contagious!
                                     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OolIRm0MI6I

3 comments:

  1. This is a hysterical way to demonstrate poor emotional intelligence, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the office is one of those shows that ive frequently watched but never from start to end. I had never actually seen him fake fire pam. absolutely perfect example of emotional unintelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting in a parking lot in Concord waiting for a meeting - reading your post - can't get the sound to work on my computer - but I love that you have found clips from The Office to demonstrate this concept. That's a great teaching tool and very creative. Are you going to incorporate these clips into your Primer write up? That would be cool. I don't think we have copyright issues since this is an academic exercise and we are covered by the fair use doctrine, plus you would just be linking/embedding.

    Honestly, I can't watch The Office. I literally have to leave the room. My wife likes the show and used to laugh at me. I can't stand watching people make fools of themselves. I know it's a brilliant show, but it pains me to watch. I have the same reaction to other shows like it.

    ReplyDelete