Sunday, February 12, 2017

Zodiac Signs in the Workplace Week 3 Post 1

This post is totally for fun because I have been an avid reader of horoscopes most of my life and have found them super interesting. I personally match up well with the description of my zodiac sign, and know others who think its complete junk. I stumbled upon this article about how to understand your boss based upon their zodiac sign and I thought it was pretty interesting and accurate. My birthday is June 28th and fall under the Cancer zodiac, so my description was as follows:

The Cancer BossJune 22-July 22Strengths: low-key, easy, harmoniousWeaknesses: overly demanding, expectant, particularInteractive Style: persuasive, feeling, empathicIt can be a mistake to deny or underestimate the dominant qualities of the Cancer boss. Extremely particular about how things are done, Cancer bosses can be very demanding, albeit in a low-key manner. They expect their employees to understand their wishes and even to anticipate them. It is not so much rules and orders that count most for Cancer bosses, but the fact that everyone is on the same emotional wavelength. Not fond of trouble, Cancer bosses want things to run smoothly, underscoring their need for unquestioned dominance -- not be confused with power-tripping. 

Interestingly enough, my zodiac description matched pretty well with my personality test results. I linked the article below if anyone wants see what type of boss they are based upon their zodiac. Whether you are a believer or not, its fun to read.

https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/understand-boss-by-astrology


5 comments:

  1. i think horoscopes are a super interesting topic. ive read a lot about mine too, i tend to agree with a good amount of the general qualities and tendencies of my sign but not the day to day horoscopes. my only issue has been my birthday is right on the verge of Leo and Virgo signs so my description can take a mixture between the two signs. cool post though and really interesting article to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really taken a huge interest in horoscopes before but, this seems really interesting! I definitely want to try this! My birthday is also in June but I'm not sure if we have the same sign. I will have to look into my own Zodiac sign and see what my horoscopes says!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always found astrology interesting. I was actually doing some research on witchcraft when I first arrived here at UNH. I really wanted to do a project about tarot as an alternative to medical model therapy. Unfortunately, I've had to set that aside to pursue more main stream objectives for now. Something I will definitely come back to.

    I think my main problem with astrological signs taken by themselves is that clearly not everyone who is born during the same part of the year shares the same personality traits. I think that is probably too rigid of an interpretation. I think like the MBTI personality types, there is truth to these signs, but perhaps one has to discern which sign one is through experience and thought, rather than just looking to see what sign is associated with one's birth month.

    F.A. Hayek, one of my favorite economists and winner of the Nobel prize, has written about religion and religious beliefs (I would put astrology in that category broadly) and talked about how these beliefs come about because they work. The forces that create the beliefs are complex, and a single "rational" mind is not necessarily capable of understanding why they work because the social forces behind them are too complex. In that sense, any one horoscope is only as good as the astrologer doing the reading, just as any one sermon is only as good as the minister giving it, but the concept must have some validity or it would not survive. That would be the essence of Hayek's insight. Things that don't work tend to be washed out of society. Things that work tend to stick, even if we don't understand them.

    Here is a very interesting paper that is based on Hayek's thinking by a couple of economists who I studied with and whom I respect: http://www.peterleeson.com/stickiness.pdf

    This may be of interest for "many". You could easily tie this concept into organizational culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post about zodiac signs! I personally have always had an interest in zodiacs. Our personality tests at the beginning of the course made me think of astrological signs as a comparison, so I am glad you looked into it. Interestingly, I find pride in identifying myself as my sign, which is Gemini. I think this is because I find that I relate to my sign description so well. While I wonder the validity of astrological signs, I am always amazed at the accuracy of some people's signs.

    ReplyDelete