Sunday, February 19, 2017

Vulnerability Week 3 post 2

My mentor suggested that I listen to a Ted Talk by Brené Brown discussing the power of vulnerability when I told her that Caroline and I would be presenting on the topic of Emotional Intelligence. Although this Ted Talk was not directly related to management, I felt that Brown brought up great points on understanding your own emotions, tying in perfectly with our presentation.

 "In order for connection to happen we have to allow ourselves to be seen." This quote from her talk tied together a lot of the topics I introduced in my presentation. Not only do we have to make an effort to be empathetic and understanding towards others, but also to understand ourselves, and to project this openness in our environment. If you spend your days being closed off and impersonal, you will not reach the level of emotional intelligence necessary to create connections in the workplace, as well as in other aspects of life. We think of being vulnerable as being a weakness, but it is presented here as a strength. Vulnerability is a form of courageousness. I feel that especially in the field of healthcare that we are all entering into, we will deal with tough topics and choices that will affect more than just the business decisions of an organization. We will be dealing with real people and their health and well being. I think that being vulnerable and capable of emotion will positively impact the quality of work we will bring into the healthcare industry.

We will play the Ted Talk tomorrow in our presentation!!


1 comment:

  1. ha - not fair to lead with that teaser! Looking forward to class.

    A related topic to think about - well, not exactly related, but in my head it is - is Anti-fragility. Book by Taleb: https://www.amazon.com/Antifragile-Things-That-Disorder-Incerto-ebook/dp/B0083DJWGO/

    Recommend this interview with him to see what it is about: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2012/01/taleb_on_antifr.html

    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you listen to the podcast or want to look at the book (I have a copy in my office you can borrow).

    ReplyDelete