Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Identity Week 4 Post 1

I think one of the hardest questions I have ever been asked is "tell me about yourself." My answer is usually: my name is Regan Brooks Judge and I am 20 years old, go to the University of New Hampshire. I always felt like that was not enough of an answer, especially in an interview. I have read my horoscope profiles, taken personality tests, and Buzzfeed quizzes that tell me what my favorite Disney movie means about my personality, but it is still a really hard question for me.

This Ted Talk asks us to think of ourselves not as a thing that collects life experiences and holds on to them, but as a "collection" of experiences. I like how he explains who we are as all aspects of our brains and personalities working together to create our identity. There is not one place in our minds that holds on to who we are, and our identity is something that is constantly changing.


1 comment:

  1. Such a great question, "is there a real you?" There was a pre-Socratic Greek philosopher who posed this question, and used the example a ship. He said that over time, you might replace the mast of a ship one year, some planks in the deck another year, and so on until at some point many years down the line, nothing is original in the ship. So is it still the same ship?

    A more complex question is the idea of "self" and whether it exists in any meaningful way independent of other people. It's well documented that solitary confinement drives people mad, for example.

    I'm going to save this video for later - thanks for the reference.

    ReplyDelete